“The biggest benefit to someone in the service industry, is that the metrics are easy to understand and easy to calculate. Our management and team leaders could actually get their arms around the data in order to understand the impact of improving on the current state summary metrics. We follow-up each Rapid Process Improvement event with monthly dashboards to track the progress made during the workshop. This would not be possible without a baseline from those metrics.”Maureen Counsel – Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan
Metrics-Based Process Mapping (MBPM) is a tactical-level, visual mapping approach that enables improvement teams to make effective, data-based decisions regarding waste elimination and measure ongoing process performance. The mapping technique, often used to drill down from a value stream map, integrates the functional orientation of traditional swim lane process maps with time and quality metrics that are essential for designing improved processes.
Method & Product Demo
Building on the success of its popular predecessor, Metrics-Based Process Mapping: An Excel-Based Solution, this updated edition takes readers to the next level in understanding processes and process improvement. Among the improvements to this edition, the book includes:
- Foundational content about processes—what they are and how they vary
- A description of the difference between value-stream and process-level maps
- New content about how to bridge the gap between your current state and your desired future state
- Tips for effective team formation and mapping facilitation
- An implementation plan for those using the mapping methodology as a standalone tool and not part of a Kaizen Event
The Excel-based tool included on the accompanying CD provides readers with a user-friendly way to electronically archive manually created maps in team settings for easier storage and distribution across your entire organization. While current and future state MBPMs are initially created during team-based activities using butcher paper and post-its, the electronic maps serve as standard work documentation for the improved process, enabling training, communication, and process monitoring activities.
This flexible, user-friendly tool includes:
- A custom toolbar that simplifies map creation and editing
- Automated calculation of key metrics
- An audit feature to prevent mapping errors
- The ability to simulate how improvements will impact staffing requirements
System Requirements: The tool is intended for use on PCs using Excel 2007 or later — it will NOT function with earlier versions of Excel, or on Macintosh computers.
NOTICE TO BOOK BUYERS: IF YOU ARE USING EXCEL 2013, PLEASE SEND PROOF OF PURCHASE TO [email protected] TO RECEIVE A 2013-COMPATIBLE VERSION OF THE MAPPING TOOL.