Rather than entering into client engagements with a pre-determined “program,” Karen and her team of seasoned performance improvement professionals tailor their approach to fit their clients’ unique needs. And, to build self-sufficiency as quickly as possible, they focus on developing problem solving, critical thinking, innovation, and continuous improvement capabilities at the same time that they’re helping their clients generate rapid results.
Some of the more common services Karen and her provide include operational assessments and transformation plan development, leading extended transformation engagements, strategy deployment plan development (hoshin kanri), value stream mapping and transformation, establishing kaizen cultures, Kaizen Event facilitation, developing Lean leaders, productivity and communication improvement, establishing visual management systems, and process design.
Whether you need assistance in undertaking a full Lean management transformation, jump starting a stalled focus on improvement, or merely developing a core capability or two, The Karen Martin Group, Inc. can help your goals and profit through simplicity.
While our typical client engagement is heavily coaching- and facilitation-based, we also provide traditional consulting to assist our clients with transformation-related issues, such as:
- Assessing and investigating operations
- Assessing organizational maturity and needs
- Creating a transformation roadmap
- Build high-performing teams
- Developing an infrastructure to support transformation
- Identifying current workforce and leadership capabilities and development needs
- Evaluating how much change the organization can reasonably absorb over specified periods of time and creating an appropriate execution plan
- Developing communication strategies for introducing change
- Shifting to value stream-aligned organizational structures
- Defining relevant key performance indicators, dashboards, and an approach for ongoing measurement and improvement
- Building process management capabilities
In all cases, we work with our clients to create clear, measurable objectives and to secure organizational alignment around the approach best suited to meet those objectives.
We facilitate the following team-based improvement activities:
- Strategy deployment plan development (also referred to as hoshin planning)
- Value Stream Mapping
- Metrics-Based Process Mapping
- A3 Problem Solving (Plan-Do-Study-Adjust)
- Kaizen Events
- Project management
We also facilitate activities geared to stimulating innovation, building consensus, improving teamwork, and resolving conflict.
Building proficiency in any endeavor—whether golf, piano, ballet, or acting—is best achieved by working with a skilled coach. Developing organizational capabilities around problem solving and continuous improvement, personal productivity, and leadership is no exception.
We offer onsite and virtual coaching to senior leaders, middle managers, and improvement practitioners to develop personally, with the larger goal of improving organizational performance. Current and past clients coaching objectives have included guidance about how to:
- Create an improvement-minded culture
- Analyze operations and determine leadership development needs
- Create an organizational transformation plan
- Solve problems more quickly and effectively
- Resolve interpersonal and inter-departmental conflict
- Build leadership standard work practices
- Build proficiency as a problem-solving coach
- Reduce resistance to change
- Reduce reliance on email; build standard email practices
- Develop value stream maps, metrics-based process maps, kanban plans, layout plans, analysis results, survey results, and project charters
- Plan and execute successful mapping activities and Kaizen Events
- Instill productivity-enhancing work practices into the workplace
- Design effective open-space work environments
- Calculate and sell improvement results
- Build an improvement infrastructure to maximize results
- Remove obstacles to success
- Accelerate results
Our fees vary based on whether it’s a one-time request, time limited, or an ongoing relationship.
We also offer personal productivity coaching. Tiffany Holton works one-on-one with individuals who seek greater personal productivity and the improved quality, increased fulfillment, and reduced stress that accompanies it.
Coaching is tailored to the individual’s needs, but generally centers around:
- Email management
- To-do systems
- Calendar management
- Weekly reviews
- Paper files
- Hard drive/shared drive organization
Leadership “Soft Skills” Coaching
Tina Jackson works with managers and senior leaders to help them build critical people skills, accomplish their goals with greater ease, assess and leverage existing strengths, and increase self-insight. Areas of focus often include (but are not limited to):
- Emotional intelligence
- Trust building and communication
- Giving performance feedback
- Work/life satisfaction
- Self-awareness and self-management
- Overcoming presentation anxiety
Following initial assessment and goal-setting sessions, we begin the coaching phase drawing on dialogue, observations, feedback, and assignments. The sessions provide the arena in which to learn new techniques and develop new behaviors. After the client’s goals are achieved, we remain available for periodic refreshers and/or to measure behavior change through assessment instruments and feedback from initial stakeholders (if relevant).
We offer a wide variety of development programs that produce outcomes that range from gaining general awareness to developing deep proficiency and that are geared to the full range of employees, from senior leaders to the frontlines. Depending on the client’s learning objectives, our workshops and training programs range from brief one-day sessions to our to project-based Lean Practitioner and Facilitator Certificate Programs, during which participants meet for 12 class sessions over the course of four months to build deeper capabilities around improvement tools and core business management practices.
Value Stream Mapping
In our 1.5-day workshop, learn how to plan and scope a value stream mapping activity, create current and future state maps, and develop actionable transformation plans. The workshop also covers leadership’s role, how to engage the entire workforce in value stream improvements, and how to calculate value stream performance, both current state and projected.
The Outstanding Organization
Learn how to transform your organization by instilling the fundamentals for excellence—clarity, focus, discipline and engagement—into your company’s DNA.
- One-day Executive Overview
- Four-session Intensive (one full day on each of the four organizational behaviors)
Lean, Six Sigma & Continuous Improvement
Principles & Practices
- Lean Overview – ½ day to 2-day sessions geared to executives, middle managers, or front-line staff; all include a simulation
- Building a Lean Culture – 1 day
- Lean Leadership – 2 days
- Problem Solving via A3 Management – Project-based; 4 days of classroom work + 4-6 online coaching sessions per project; delivered over the course of 2-3 months
- Value Stream Mapping – 3 days
- Metrics-Based Process Mapping – 1 day
- Root Cause Analysis – 2 days
- Lean Practitioner Certificate Program
- Lean Facilitator Certificate Program – participants must have completed the practitioner certificate program or demonstrate proficiency in the content
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Six Sigma Black Belt
Countermeasures– all are available in ½ day and 1 day versions, depending on the depth of learning desired.
- Changeover & setup reduction
- Error-proofing (poka yokes; quality at the source)
- Kanban Pull Systems (includes FIFO lane content as well)
- Load leveling
- Work balancing via Takt time (also includes content on creating appropriate job aids)
- Work standardization
- Cross-training and co-location (work cells)
- Kaizen Events – 3 days
- Continuous Improvement/Kaizen
- Key Performance Indicators
- Process Ownership
Essential Managerial Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Emotional Intelligence
- Influencing Skills
- Coaching Skills (performance coaching, not improvement coaching)
- Meeting Management and Facilitation
- Personal Productivity